What It's About

This is just a spot for me to put up new ideas, new creations, and little observations from my daily life.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Kindle Cover Project & Tutorial


            I love my Kindle, but when I dropped it from my purse one day I decided I need something to protect it from long falls and various other mishaps.  I searched for Kindle cover patterns, but found none that were free.  I felt as though that was just as well, I really need to learn to make my own.  Below find how I made mine!



Step 1:  Gather Supplies.  You will need the following:
·       2  12.5” x 9” pieces of fabric (I used 1 piece of 2 different patterns)
·       A 12.5” x 9” piece of fusible batting
·       A 12.5” x 9” piece of fusible webbing
·       2  5.5” x 8” pieces of cardboard
·       4 hairties
·       A length of fabric cut into a 2” strip for binding
·       Sewing Machine, thread, self-healing mat, rotary cutter, clear ruler, etc.

Step 2:  Cut your fabric.  Cut your fabric to the dimensions I mentioned above.  And of course, iron your fabric

Step 3:  Add your hair ties.  On the fabric you will be using for the inside, stitch on your hair ties toward the middle of one side.  If you want a pocket, now is the time to add it.  I added a 4.5" x 4.5" pocket on the opposite side of where I added the hair ties.

Step 4:  Layer your pieces.  Layer your inner piece (the one with the hair ties) face down, then layer quilt batting, then cardboard pieces.  Iron, using the steam setting on the fabric side.  This should adhere the batting to the fabric and cardboard.

Step 5:  Layer Again.  On top of the cardboard, layer the fusible webbing and your remaining piece of fabric.  Iron using the steam setting to fuse the fabric to the cardboard.

Step 6:  Stitch the binding.  Stitch down the center between the two pieces of cardboard.  I used a pretty decorative stitch that went well with my fabric.

Step 7.  Bind it.  Using the method shown in pictures below, add the binding.  I displayed it for one corner, use this method for all four corners.  

Iron out the binding and stitch it around the entire edge using a decorative stitch if desired.


Now you’re finished and have a beautiful, unique cover for your e-reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment