What It's About

This is just a spot for me to put up new ideas, new creations, and little observations from my daily life.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Casserole Dish Holder Project & Tutorial


            Lately, I’ve been mesmerized by adorable casserole dish carriers I’ve been noticing on Pinterest.  I finally decided to suck it up and make a few.  I have been making them for friends’ wedding gifts.  Along with the casserole dish carrier, I’ve been etching a casserole dish with their new last name (see my glass etching tutorial for the full process).  After making a few for my friends, I figured why not make one for myself.  I used this tutorial: 



            Here are the supplies I chose to use.


There are a few changes I made.  For example, my Pyrex baking dish has handles, so I had to increase the size of the rectangles to 40 X 12 and 37 X 15. 

I also used buttons on the outer layer instead of Velcro.  I did this by folding a thin hair-tie in half and zig-zag stitching across it.  I then cut it in half, giving me 2 loops.  On the shorter side of the outer piece, I left it un-sewn and flipped it right-side out.  I then folded the edges under and pinned the loops 3 inches from each edge and sewed the edge shut.  I added the buttons to the opposite side of the loops to secure the holder shut.

From the pictures you can tell I have yet to sew on the handles, but I will be using an old belt instead of excess fabric.  We were getting rid of clothes we no longer wear and being the recylcler/reuser I am, I wanted to use Matt’s old belts instead of just throw them out.  I hope you love the tutorial as much as I did and I hope my extra tips helped you.

No comments:

Post a Comment