What It's About

This is just a spot for me to put up new ideas, new creations, and little observations from my daily life.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Boxy Make-Up Bag Tutorial and Project


            I noticed while I was packing my stuff that all of the make-up bags I own are absolutely ridden with the leftovers of make-up past.  I tried washing them, but the stains remained.  It made me think, “Maybe I need a new make-up bag.”  Which led me to then think “I need a make-up bag I can clean and keep pretty-looking.” 

            While on Pinterest (of course) I came across a tutorial for a box-bag.  I thought it would make the most wonderful makeup bag.  Now to solve the next problem, how to make it easily cleaned.  While I was looking through clearance fabric, I spotted some iron-on vinyl.  A yard of the stuff was $3.  Let me tell you, this stuff is magic!  It irons on beautifully and creates an easily cleaned fabric that’s so much more adorable than the oil cloth they sell by the yard.  For me, a makeup bag that looks like it was made out of a picnic table cloth is just not appealing.

            Now, on to the good stuff.  I liked the tutorial I used, but I did tweak it a little. 


Obviously I ironed the vinyl onto the fabric for the inner lining in order to keep it stain-free.  

I copied the tutorial exactly for the zipper attachment.  

I found it easier to use the method I used for both the sewing machine cover and the basket liner to make the bag itself.  You can reference either of those if you would like, or you can copy the tutorial I referenced above.

I have plans to make a make-up brush holder and roll that coordinates with the fabric I used to make the bag itself.  Keep an eye out for the upcoming tutorial! 

No comments:

Post a Comment