What It's About

This is just a spot for me to put up new ideas, new creations, and little observations from my daily life.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

How Do You Do It?: Chicken Organization... yes, seriously.


                More than organizing closets, drawers and cabinets, Matt and I also “organize” our food.  We have found it is easier (and much less stressful) to cut and portion chicken for the week prior to freezing it.  I know this seems like an odd tutorial, but I feel as though this is a useful thing to know.  We start with one package of chicken that is approximately 1.5 pounds.  We then portion it down from there.  After it’s all portioned, it gets frozen and taken out portion at a time as needed.



Step 1:  Get out your supplies.  You’ll need your cutting board and knife.  I prefer a boning knife as it’s nice and sharp.  If you prefer to use another knife, please do so.
 
I also go ahead and get my plastic bags ready by flipping the zippered part outward and opening them wide.  I then set them in front of my cutting board for easy access.


Step 2:  De-vein and trim fat.  I know it’s gross, but get rid of the stuff now and you won’t have to worry about running into it when you’re chewing. 

Step 3:  Begin cutting.  I like cutting my chicken into thinner, easier to cook breasts, strips, and cubes.  This allows me to be ready for a variety of meals in an instant. 
I cut thinner breasts by putting my palm over the entire chicken breast with a light amount of pressure and slicing across.

When you pick up each chicken breast, there is a weird flap that doesn’t quit fit in with the breast.  I cut this off and use them as tenders.  I also use an entire chicken breast to create more chicken tenders.

Finally, I use the final chicken breast to chop into 1 inch cubes.  I usually split the cubes into two separate bags to give us the option of more meals.


Step 4:  Bag it up.  Place each of the types of chicken into separate bags.  Wash your hands well.  Now place your fingers under the zipper.

Roll your fingers upward and zip your bag shut. 


Step 5:  Label.  Write on each bag to identify its contents. 
Pop them in the freezer. 

BONUS!!!  If you know you are going to use one with marinade, go ahead and add it prior to freezing.  As the chicken thaws, it will also marinade the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment