What It's About

This is just a spot for me to put up new ideas, new creations, and little observations from my daily life.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Sewing Blunders


        I already mentioned how much I liked the One Yard Wonders book, but I decided to try another project out of it.  When I was in ninth grade, I took a fashion class where we made our own pajama shorts.  I saw the “Perfect-Fit Sleep Shorts” and it reminded me of the project I did as a freshman.  I figured this project would be like riding a bicycle.  I was SO wrong.  I had trouble reading the directions and ended up frustrated before even starting.  Finally, I had an epiphany.  I grabbed my favorite pair of pajama shorts and decided to use them as a template.  I remembered to add seam allowance both above and below the shorts, but somewhere in this process, I forgot to add the seam allowance for the sides.  The result?  I ended up with shorts much to small around for me.  Oh, well, practice makes perfect.  Below is what I did (although I wouldn’t follow what I did, if I were you).



Step 1:  Trace your template.  Grab an old pair of shorts you like.  Make sure to add a seam allowance around all sides (I used a 1” seam allowance).

Step 2:  Cut it out.  You will need four pieces.  I folded the fabric in half and cut out only 2 times, giving me 4 pieces.



Step 3:  Sew the Side Seams.  Place the right sides together, iron and pin them together.  Then stitch along the side.  Do this for both sides.

Step 4:  Stitch the Crotch Seams.  Turn one piece right side out and slide it inside of the other piece, matching the leg seams.  Stitch the entire crotch section.  Reinforce this stitch by stitching again with a ¼” seam allowance.


Step 5:  Hem the shorts.  Press the leg opening under ¼” then roll under again 1”.  Iron this and pin it down.  Top stitch the top edge.


Step 6:  Add the waist band.  Flip the top edge down ¼” then again ¾”.  Iron this fold and pin it down.  Sew around waist, leaving a 2” opening.  Measure your waist and cut the elastic to this length.  Insert the elastic into the opening and pull it through the entire top.  Overlap the ends of the elastic and sew it down.  Top stitch the 2” opening.  You’re finished!  


No comments:

Post a Comment