What It's About

This is just a spot for me to put up new ideas, new creations, and little observations from my daily life.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Quick, Cute Project


    I have been working hard on two quilts and two crocheted blankets, I have felt very under-accomplished in the way of projects.  To help get myself motivated, I decided a quick and fun project would be the cure.  Last weekend, I noticed Michael’s had a great sale on Christmas merchandise.  There were baskets on this 80% off sale that had a fabric insert that was removable.  JACKPOT!!!  I bought two baskets for a grand total of $4.88.  I removed the festive Christmas liner and set out to make my own.  I decided the best way to start this project was to copy an old one.  I grabbed the directions for the sewing machine cover I made and set to work.  The result was an adorable basket liner that no one else will have!



Basket Liner Tutorial

Step 1:  Begin by taking the basket’s measurement.  Measure it’s length, width and depth.  Below are the formulas you need to use.  You will be cutting two rectangles of the same width and length.  You will get the length of the rectangle by adding the basket’s length, half of the basket’s width, and an extra inch.  For the height of the rectangle, add the basket’s depth plus half of the basket’s width, plus 3 inches. 

For example, my basket was 13 inches long, 7.5 inches wide, and 6 inches deep.  The measurements of my rectangle were 17.75 inches by 12.75 inches.


Step 2:  Measure and cut.  Using a ruler, yard stick, or tape measure, measure and mark your fabric on the “wrong” side.  Cut out two rectangles.  I do this by folding my fabric in half so I only have to make one cut.


Step 3:  Iron and pin.  I feel it is so important to iron your fabric.  Place your two rectangles with the right sides facing and pin the edges.



Step 4.  Sew it.  Sew around both height edges and one length edges, leaving the bottom open.  Make sure to use a ½ inch seam allowance.


Step 5.  Make it “3D”.  Measure a square from the seam equal to half of the basket’s width.  My basket was 7.5 inches wide, so my square was 3.75 inches by 3.75 inches.  This square should be measured at the top of the rectangle.  Cut out these squares.


Step 6.  Pinch it together.  Pinch together the edges of the square so that the seams match up.  Pin this together and sew it closed.


Step 7.  Hem it.  Keeping the right sides in, fold the bottom up ¼ inch and the up another ¼ inch.  Iron this down, then pin it.  Use a top-stitch to sew up your hem. 

Step 8.  Fit it.  Leaving the right sides in, place the liner into your basket and fold the hem of the liner over the top edge of the basket.  Your result should be that the right side of the fabric is facing you and the wrong side is facing the basket.


No comments:

Post a Comment