What It's About

This is just a spot for me to put up new ideas, new creations, and little observations from my daily life.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Yoga Mat Bag Tutorial


            After finding out both my Husband and I were accepted into Duke University’s Master’s program, I simply could not go to sleep.  I was much too excited.  What to do with all this excitable energy?  Sew, of course.  I grabbed a fabric I chose to create a purse with but haven’t got around to for this project.  Instead, I made a really adorable yoga bag.  Once I started sewing this bag, I couldn’t resist not using a decorative stitch.  I had yet to use them and my sewing machine has a plethora of beautiful stitches.  This would be the project to try them on.  I must say, I am very pleased with the look of the stitches and the ease with which my sewing machine makes them.  It really added a lot to this project.  Look below for a quick tutorial and improvements upon it.  Hope you enjoy!!!




Step 1.  Gather your materials.  You will need ½ yard of fabric, a rotary cutter (or scissors), coordinating thread, a quilting ruler, a self healing mat, an iron, and some pins.

Step 2.  Measure and cut.  You will need to fold your fabric in half lengthwise.  Measure 9.5-10  inches from the folded edge and cut the entire length.  This will give you the yoga bag part.  The leftover pieces will be your strap.

Step 3.  Cut the curve.  While your fabric is folded right-side in, cut a curve to be the bottom of the bag.



*I cut my curve away from the fold, be sure to cut yours toward the fold.  It will hide the seam near the strap this way.

Step 4.  Sew the bag.  Pin together your bag and stitch ¼ inch from the seam.

  Leaving the bag right side in, fold the fabric ¼ inch inward, then inward 1 inch, pin this shut. Use a top-stitch to create the hem of the bag.  


I used a leaf stitch from my decorative stitching options for the hem and it looked awesome!

Step 5.  Sew the strap.  Make sure your strap pieces are facing each other right side in.  Stitch ¼ inch from the seam on both long ends and one of the shorter ends. 

Flip the strap right side out.  Fold the open end inward and stitch it shut.  Fold the strap in half

then in half again.


Iron it down, pin it, and the top-stitch 1/4 inch from the seam around the entire strap.


*I used a star-shaped decorative stitch for this one.  Isn’t it pretty? *

Step 6.  Attach the strap to the bag.  Flip your bag right side out.  

Picking it up from the bottom, flatten it out at the seam.  


Pin one of the short ends of the strap to the pointed end of the bag.  

Stitch the strap to the bag, making sure to make it secure.  Next, attach the other end of the strap at the top-stitch of the hem of the bag.  

Make sure the stitch is secure. 

Step 7.  Admire.  Put your yoga mat in the bag and marvel at your creation.  I hope you love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment